Saturday, October 20, 2007

So, Am I Weird??

I was chatting with the spouse this morning about how my trainer is working on my developing a way healthier regular way of eating (think flexitarian). He (the trainer, not the spouse) actually expects me to never eat fried chicken again in my life.

Now I don't eat fast food crap like hamburgers and egg/muffin sandwiches. I actually have some pretty good eating habits. But occasionally I do love me some fried chicken (a KFC 3 pc. dark meat original recipe box with biscuits. The other sides are horrid, but this I crave). And at the moment I don't think I can completely embrace the idea of never eating this again. Maybe someday, but not now.

However, I have learned that I can delay a craving for a very long time if I give myself permission to have a treat in a very specific way. The way that works best for me is to tie "permission" to have something with a predictable yet emotionally unattached action.

For example: I can have 2 donuts on the days that I get blood tests. Because I'm on a statin, I get a fasting blood tested every 6 months. Those are the 2 days a year that I allow myself to have a donut. I can choose not to, and often do. And I'm fine with delaying my next donut stop for those 6 months.

For the chicken? I've decided (and to me this seems oddly appropriate given the high fat nature of the meal) that on the days I get my oil changed in my VW (2 times a year), I can have fried chicken.

My spouse thinks this is the weirdest thing he's heard in years. I think it's effective, responsible and doesn't force me to do something I'm not quite willing to give up.

So what do you think?

I also blog at: Deb's Daily Distractions and BlogHer on Mondays and Saturdays.

No comments: