Friday, February 22, 2008

Clothes: Keeping Only What Fits or What Still Has Life?

It's approaching the end of winter.. approaching, I'm not saying it's here yet. The ornamental stone fruit trees are blooming, the days are getting longer. The end of winter is approaching. Which means I'm going through my closet and meager collection of the clothes beginning to decide what I keep and what I get rid of.

I am NOT one of those people who saves clothes for years even if I never wear them and they don't fit. I can imagine using something in the next 6 months or it's passed on to someone who might.

And here's my dilemma. So far it's been easy to get rid of pants when they get too large: they start falling off my butt. But how do I decide about t-shirts and tops?

I have about 6 x-large stretch cotton t-shirt that ARE too big on me. The shoulder seams drop 1" below my shoulders and it hangs loosely over the bust. The shirts, probably because of the stretch, hang loose but do not hang like sacks. My 100% cotton t's have been relegated to night shirts or the

Do I keep them?

My argument for keeping them: those days when I'm working outside, when it's hot and I want something further away from my skin. The argument for giving them away: I'm not wearing that size anymore. And someone who IS wearing that size could use them.

What about the dresses and jackets that hang more loosely?

So what's your take? I suspect everybody will say that keeping the looser fitting clothing (if it does not hang like a sack) can do no harm.

I also blog at: Deb's Daily Distractions and BlogHer on Mondays and Saturdays.

No comments: