Thursday, June 09, 2005

HOT Fun in the summertime...

I admitted a few weeks ago that one of my "guilty pleasures" was watching "Starting Over" during my lunchtime break. Well, the show is in repeats for the summer, so I've decided to start a new activity.

You know all the magazine ideas that are soooo tempting? And we all want to try them? For atleast the couple weeks (who knows how long?), I am giving myself permission to play at doing something different for one hour a day.

So while my quilting is at the moment heavily dependant on machine quilting, and hand binding, I can spend that one hour/day playing at something. My only requirement at the moment, is it's got to be something I've wanted to try... and I can't think too much about it.

The Summer edition of QUILTING ARTS arrived yesterday. In there is an article about using running stitch to create texture and alter color in cloth. That's one thing to play at. There is also an article on drawing with wax pastels. That's another.

Going beyond this issue, there are the past issues to peruse... and Belle Armoire. Not to mention the books I've purchased but not thoroughly worked through... (I'm thinking Richard Box's book that I've barely scraped the surface of... and Nita Leland..).

So this evening I picked up my box of embroidery threads, and a new piece of handpainted fabric that's been layered with batting. I'm going to play a bit with running stitch on this piece. And see where it leads.

4 comments:

Sonji Hunt said...

I'm interested in picking up the new QA because I've read a few posts on the CQ and QA lists that speak of how unsatisfying it is for these particular women. I have no idea what type of work they produce. I'm usually just happy with the pretty pictures. I rarely try what's in the articles. I only half completed the silk cocoon thing and ended up tossing them out. Good Luck with your new adventures, Deb.

Rosie said...

'play at doing something different for one hour a day?' This is an EXCELLENT idea, something that I should have started yonks ago. Good luck to you. Let me know how it works out for you, if you're like me ..... an hour is never enough!

Nikki said...

I've been trying to come up with some sort of plan for mixing in all the new things I want to try with getting the "regular" quilting projects done. Your lunch plan sounds great - I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

The Richard Box book is on my list too...

2paw said...

Hi, I found you through my friend Rosie's site!!! I saw you were experimenting with freeform knitting and sewing : Last year we had an adult ed course here and I went. It was great, I made heaps of tiny motifs but I needed a follow up to force me to finish making a bag!!! My goal is to one day make a jacket. Have you seen Prudence Mapstone's book? She had a big display here at a craft fair. Happy stitching!!!