Saturday, June 21, 2008

Looks Like Heaven, Feels Like Somewhere Else...

Looks Like Heaven, Feels Like Somewhere Else..

It's HOT in the Bay area today. Friday, the official temperature in my town was 101F, though the Weather Channel online tried to comfort me by saying that it "felt like 95!" Today is supposed to be replay.

Fortunately, we live in a newer home, which means we have AC. Many parts of the bay area, have older homes; and most of the time AC would be a waste. When the fog rolls in by 9 pm, dropping the temperatures into the 50s, houses cool down quickly. This makes AC an expense that's hard to justify.

Even though we have it, I normally run ours only 10 or so times a year. (This is the 5th or 6th time so far this year. Can we say climate change?) When the fog returns, the AC goes off even if the house gets rather warm during those late afternoon hours. Our unit is really undersized for our house, so the energy to cool things for 3-4 hours just isn't worth it, IMO.

Even though I'm not a Bay Area native, I've grown to love the bay area fog most of the time. Or at least until I'm wearing polar fleece on the 4th of July while I'm trying to watch some fireworks.

I also blog at: Deb's Daily Distractions and BlogHer on Mondays and Saturdays.

Tags:

No comments: