Monday, June 23, 2008

Strawberry Season

Strawberry Pie Recipe

This is my strawberry pie recipe. I've had this note on a piece of scratch paper for about 30 years or so. It is stained with strawberry juice from mashing too close to it; it is marked with fat from stray bits of pie dough that fell on it. As one of my favorite recipes, you'd think I'd take better care.

But the thing is, it has survived this long just as it is. I know the look of the paper, and can grab it from a pile of other similarly stained and marked cherished recipes without a thought. For about 3 decades I have managed to keep this.

It hasn't been ruined by stains.
It hasn't been mistakenly thrown away.
It hasn't been lost in a move.

It has remained.

Is it silly that I fear if I were to copy it to a "better" piece of paper that it would somehow vanish? I wouldn't recognize it on an index card and would spend hours looking for this particular scrap.

And for those struggling to read it's blurred directions:

Deb's Strawberry Pie

1 pint strawberries, mashed

Add 1C sugar, 3 Tbs. corn starch, 1/2 tsp. butter
Boil over low heat about 5 minutes until thick & clear - stir - cool.

Put 1 pt. berries in a baked pie shell and pour cooled mixture over.

Garnish with whipped cream.

Sometimes the mixture gets too thick to pour. I simply add a little simple syrup (I always have some mixed for the hummingbird feeder), and stir until a nice pourable consistency develops.

I also blog at: Deb's Daily Distractions and BlogHer on Mondays and Saturdays.

No comments: