Thursday, March 24, 2005

Questions asked about the piece below:

I used acrylics. I WANTED Golden fluids, but my Michaels doesn't carry them. So I used the bottles of Liquitex acrylics. Emptied a glub or two (about 1/2 the 2 oz. bottle) into a small disposable bowl, and added an equivalent amount of water.

What?? You don't measure by glubs, too???? You know you do.

I used Red Oxide, Baltic green, neutral gold, and yellow oxide. The odd thing: the baltic green kept seperating into a dull gray color and a bright turquoise color. I chose it because it looked like a light soft sage green. Really didn't want the turquoise.

The texture on the red pieces: I painted these with dry fabric and fairly stiff brushes (cheap "house painting" brushes.. not artist's brushes). You know the 3 brushes for $2 you see? Black nylon bristles? anyway, I barely dipped the brushes into the paint, then lightly painted the fabric with diagonal strokes. I like the texture this created.

Most of the other textures were created by dribbling paint on the fabric. I really liked this technique, so I got carried away.

Oddly enough... the greenish piece (long vertical on the far left)... needed more texture. And I was done. So I just laid it on top of the piece on the work plastic, a piece that had been salted. I painted some stripes of gold on in, and let it set. The salt worked so much more effectively on this piece! might be because it was pouring rain, so no sun to help "cook" the fabric.

I'm thinking next painting session I will lay out the salt first and lay the painted fabric on top.

I find removing salt from fabric a pain... especially when using a very fine grain salt. If anyone has suggestions for this, I'd appreciate it.

No comments: