Monday, October 31, 2005

My Ghost Story

Since it's Halloween, I thought I'd tell you about my first car. It came with a ghost in the backseat.

The first car I owned was a 1970 AMC Hornet. It had been originally purchased by a woman...a wife and mother. When she died suddenly several months later, her son took his anger out on the car. He kicked in the doors and trashed the interior. So my father bought a 2 year old car with limited mileage for $700 (then put about $1000 into it). He and I shared it until I graduated from college.

This was my car, Persephone.

Anyway...

You know sometime you think you see something out of the corner of your eye? Or you feel something that isn't there?

Whenever I drove that car, I could almost see someone sitting in the backseat in the rearview mirror. And I could definately feel someone back there. Now I know the car had been owned by a woman... but this felt like a man.

For the longest time I thought it was just a sense that came from driving... that everyone experienced the same thing, and that I would no matter what. When Persephone was totalled and replaced, however, I lost that sensation.

I can still remember it, though.

So my first car had a ghost in the backseat...

No comments: