Phooey! don't ask me how.. but my blog was hacked Tuesday night. It was full of garbage and meaningless stuff. And it took me about 3 hours to recover it. I've decided to make a copy of the template and save it in a Word file just incase this happens again. What a pain.
I've spent the weekend staring at those experiments from last week. I learned from them... and I don't think I'm going to finish them off.
One piece was overstitched with zigzag only. On the larger fields, the stitching is too heavy. I've learned that I like a more open subtler stitching to enhance the fields.
On the other piece, I just could not cope with that wedge-and-cross shape. Nothing I could do to make that work. I've learned that I like the fields to be a bit more amorphous than those shapes were.
Now these experiments were related to the piece I showed a couple weeks ago...I'm trying to work out some the plans for this piece. So I'm taking my cut outs down and moving on to a couple other small experiments... playing with overlays and overlaying color.
I'm still "fine tuning" the drawing. I realized that the first drawing I posted had "rules" and I occasionally made an exception to the rule. That's what made it interesting. The eye understands the rules even if the rule isn't obvious.
In some of the middle pieces, I forgot what the rules were... and the outcome was chaos. In the second one I showed, I stuck to rules, without exception. Dull.
So I understand what worked and didn't work in designing the piece... now I need to make sure the message is there behind the lines. Then I need to find an overhead projector to make it larger...