Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Router problems...

We are wireless in the Roby household. We have a DSL modem and a nifty Linksys router that's run through a donated old computer running Windows ME. And we were having a problem.

The modem, it works perfectly. If I plug a computer right into the modem, I can connect. Wirelessly, our network didn't exist. And hasn't, we think, for over a month. I called Earthlink, and they direct me to attach the server and type an address into the computer.

The address wants a user name and password. And NONE of my passwords work. And I never remember using any unique password... if I did, I would have written it down.

In the meantime... our new neighbors are also wireless. And they (bless their soulds) opted not to password lock their system. So I have been using it without their knowledge. I will really need to make them a nice surprise present for unknowingly helping me out.

Yesterday I finally got through to a live person by phone. After being switched twice, I connected with someone who helped me out. The password I needed to enter? admin. Now why didn't the FIRST tech support guy tell me that??

After entering the mystery password, Adrian (not his real name, unless Adrian is a popular name in India) walked me through the steps to get my router back on line.

And I'm comforted knowing that our neighbors are always an acceptable fallback.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My son can connect into his local police department network. Amazingly they don't have their connection password protected.