Thursday, May 19, 2005

Some simple stitching

Some simple stitching...

Hand-painted fabric, machine stitched on a grid, then hand stitched.

It's odd. When I was doing the grid quilting on this as hard as I tried to do it perfectly, there were small irregularities. For some reason it got me thinking about genetics. How nature will try to reproduce something perfectly time and again, yet even there there are small irregularities. We call them mutations when we see them.

I'm thinking I want to do a piece where I follow the stitching "mutations" and see where they go in a larger piece. But the piece needs more than just the interesting mutated stitching.

This is a very small piece (maybe 10"x12"). I don't know what I will do with it now. I may turn it into fabric postcards, I may add it to another piece.

 Posted by Hello

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I like it! Great colors and I think the irregularities are what make it work. Show us what you do with it, please.

Cathy said...

Oohh! Debra, I really like this. The colors and stitching really mesh well. Maybe just frame it as is?

jpsam said...

This is very nice! I would never be able to cut it.