Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Homework, part deux...

Other answers to Gabrielle's homework questions.

A. --Pick 5 words that describe the creative process.

1. Exciting. A new idea... how exciting. A reason to wake up in the morning.

2. Terrifying. Bringing my vision to life: a reason to run from the sewing room. Don't I have a close to organize? Exercise to do?

3. Fed (by interaction with the world.)

4. Possibilities.

5. Ever-changing.



--Two words. One describes where you are an artist, the other where you want to be.

Where I am as an artist. I won't even really call myself an artist, yet. Oddly, this "denial" carryies on a family tradition. My maternal grandfather had an artist calling. He gave up on doing anything with it to support his family. It came out when he took charge of the Church's nativity scene: he added something new each year for 25 years until his death.

My mother had an artist bent... she didn't pursue it. She had issues with perfectionism and a huge need to be "practical." Most of her artist instinct was focused into decorating the house as the budget allowed.

I now have a niece who desperately wanted to study set design. Her family "encouraged" her to be more practical.. so she's about the graduate college with a degree in nursing. She won't even work at her one-time passion in community theater because she gets no support.

So I guess I'm the member of my generation on this chain.

Where I want to be as an artist:

comfortable saying I am; and maybe with one or two others agreeing. I don't need the whole world to know my name and think of me that way... but a few people would be nice.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Debra said:
"Where I want to be as an artist:

comfortable saying I am; and maybe with one or two others agreeing. I don't need the whole world to know my name and think of me that way... but a few people would be nice."

WoW, this really speaks to me. Definitely where I'm at right now. I'm tired of being "just a mom" and having people look down on me because of it. But do I dare take the steps needed to fulfill this dream?

Elle said...

I have always been an artistic type, interned at the Corcoran in high school--everything, yet when it came time to go to college I was told to pick a "real" major. So sad. If I could do it again I'd be a fine arts major. You shouldn't have to subjugate your artistic self to be the "practical" self that everyone thinks you should be.