Wednesday, April 27, 2005

We may be buying a second house....

I wish I could be excited about this. NO we are not moving. NO this isn't a great vacation escape. It will be in Moline, Ill. (NOT the destination location of the jet set crowd...). sigh.

My MIL is 86 years old and still living in the house they bought when Steve was in college. She thought she could maintain it until she died. But it's a typical Midwestern house built in 50s or 60s... the utilities are in the basement. Since my FIL died, she's been upgrading the house, putting in new windows, upgrading the electrical, all those important things. But the house just doesn't work well for a couple of octagenarians who have both had strokes.

She needs to move. And she's finally accepted it.

Now my hubby is her only child, and sole heir. And she's not sure that she can afford to sell her house and move into a condo. (Yes, I WANT her to move into a senior complex. but she doesn't want to spend her time surrounded by "all those old people." She's rather be isolated and proud.)... Ok, I'm not going there.

So we've agreed that the new house will be in our name, and if necessary we will help with payments. I really need to speak to a tax man about the ramifications of this...

I may also be headed back there to help sell the old house. Imagine SELL THIS HOUSE with the hostess being that daughter-in-law. I can easily think of 10 pieces of furniture that HAVE TO GO before we even have the realtor over. Someone is not going to be happy in this process. Imagine two stubborn Kraut Broads butting heads. Oh, and when I go there, I will have to drive to airport to find wireless connection. (you will probably find me there eating breakfast and supper at the airport!).

I'm working myself into the calm... this too shall pass mode. There are 2 things I'm thankful for:

1. When my own parents died two years ago, I had siblings in the same town to handle everything.

2. I don't also have children back here to worry about. We have a great boarder for the dogs... and Steve may have to be back here most of the time for work. But if I had children, what would I do?

1 comment:

Mary-Frances said...

Yikes, sounds like an interesting challenge...so do we get an update? Sometimes owning two houses can look ugly on a tax return...maybe there's a way to spin it as a charity thing! :-) At least she won't be in the house they can't take care of anymore...our neighborhood is FULL of little old ladies who won't let go our thier houses...silly really.