Thursday, June 08, 2006

Thursday Thoughts

I'm re-reading Twyla Tharp's The Creative Habit. Just ended the chapter where she talks about our personal creative DNA and the way we prefer to view the world. She called it the focal points. She mentioned three fairly standard views, though I'm paraphrasing her terms:

panorama: the full long shot.. distant view. You can see the "whole picture".

arm's length: what I think of as portrait distance.

close up: tiny details, but not necessarily the whole picture.

In reading this I realized that I skip from the panorama to the close up views all the time. Big picture, tiny details, big picture. I don't particularly care for the "arm's length" view.. which might be why I don't like pictures of people.

Anyway, my question to you all:

What are your preferred creative focal points?

And for our moment of healing. Here's Katy, spending the afternoon on the deck. "Fresh air," she says, "is beneficial to healing." Most of the bruising and swelling is gone, and her fur is starting to grow back.

Check out my other blog: Deb's Daily Distractions

No comments: